A community emergency preparedness is only as good
as the preparedness of its citizens. Make emergency preparedness a
priority for you and your family. There are a number of simple
actions that you and your family can take to better prepare for a
- Get indoors quickly.
- Shut all doors and windows. Turn off the air conditioning.
- Stay away from external windows and go to an interior room, taking a radio or TV, phone, wet cloth or towel, plastic sheets, and duct tape.
- Seal the air vents and all openings around all doors and windows.
- If you happen to smell the chemical or have trouble breathing – breathe through the wet towel or for higher protection go to a bathroom and turn on the shower in a strong spray.
- Wait for the all clear signal before you leave your shelter.